Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Saddle's Done with a Side of Hurricane

So my Flex2 saddle is finally done! The saddle was finished Thursday and my birthday was Friday so it was perfect timing. Despite my sheer excitement and the fact that I was unable to focus for the rest of the afternoon, I was only able to squeeze in a short ride. My little one is teething so sometimes he doesn't go down for the night right away and it's already getting dark sooner. When I got Copper all tacked up, I stood back and looked at what a gorgeous boy I have with the beautifully crafted saddle and headstall. Now I need a new saddle pad...and a new girth...and new bell boots.

When I climbed up in the saddle, it was awesome! I know I have a perfect fit for Copper, which was the whole point of me getting a new saddle, and now I do for me as well. It already feels broken in and I love the close contact. Now if I can get to ride for more than 5 minutes this week I'll be doing good! I'm not too hopeful with the hurricane rolling in.

With Hurricane Dolly getting ready to come ashore, I have made some preparations for Copper. Normally he is out in the pasture all the time even if we get a shower because that's where he is the happiest. I have learned he gets upset if he is in a stall for very long, but I know even he will like some shelter from the wind and rain if it comes our way. He has a stall that's about 15' x 15' and open on one side so he shouldn't feel too claustrophobic. I put him in there last night for about an hour so he could get used to it and after he tested the gate, he decided it wasn't so bad and went about munching his hay. For the morning feeding, he didn't want to leave! So, I'm content that he likes it. Looks like we are in for just rain which I am looking forward to - we desperately need it.

Does anybody out there have some helpful hints to get your horse ready for the storm?

No comments: