Friday, June 27, 2008

First Things First

Copper and I are a little out of place down here in south Texas in the land of Quarter horses. I hauled him into town last night for our first lesson with Anne, and we were working around barrel racers and a girl practicing Western Pleasure. The way I need to ride Copper is different than riding a Quarter horse, especially now since he is still relatively untrained in the proper ways of a Walking Horse. I feel encouraged by the information that Anne has and can’t wait to practice what I learned last night this weekend.

Anne has an easy going, but all-business style of teaching. I like how she takes the time to explain things and gives me little demonstrations on what I need to do with my legs and hands. She gave gentle reminders when I was doing something wrong and that was exactly what I needed. We worked on circles for bending, the flat walk, his head set, and the final lesson was parking out. Overall Copper caught on quickly and my legs were Jell-O by the time we were finished. :)



Copper has also been doing a lot better about getting in the trailer. Most of the time he hops right in, but he will still do the put his front legs in and stand there thing. Then I back him out, walk him around and then he will hop up in there. Stinker.

I am really excited that my Flex2 Trail has been put into work. It should be done in a few weeks and I can hardly wait! This is the first brand new saddle I have ever had. I have changed up some things on it like the conchos and tooling pattern. I also ordered the coordinating headstall so I will be completely outfitted in matching gear. It’s been awhile since I had a completely matching rig.

I am getting ready for vacation next week. The saddle and tack departments shut down for a week at July 4th and at Christmas. We run a skeleton crew in Customer Service and Shipping, but the rest of the office can take off if they choose. I’m out for the week and headed north to see some family.



Happy July 4th!
Dara

No comments: