Friday, July 11, 2008

Monty

Last week for the July 4th holiday I went north see my sister and her family. I finally got to see my brother-in-law's Paint gelding, Monty. He's 15 years old, about 15ish hands and is stout. He had been used in a feed lot and for cow work most of his life but surprisingly is not nearly as seasoned as you would think. And, all that work and no play had taught him to be hard to catch with a general sour attitude towards being ridden. My BIL has been working the Pat Parelli horsemanship method with him and I have so say Monty is respectful and tries to figure out what is being asked of him.

I think one of the keys to any successful horsemanship method is patience. My BIL has taken Monty back to basics working on groundwork, desensitizing, and is trying to create a new attitude towards being saddled and ridden. He is making huge strides in trust and respect on the ground which will translate under saddle. I noticed Monty's general personality is kinda jumpy and nervous. That may be just the way he is wired, but as long as Monty continues to look to his leader for guidance my BIL will soon have a willing partner that is a pleasure to be around.

Dara

No comments: